A Buyer’s Guide to CPAP Machines – Manufacturers, Features, & More
Obtaining a quality machine is probably one of the most significant choices to make. You want to make sure that buy cpap machine that will work efficiently and consistently. Even though there are various manufacturers of CPAP machines nowadays, it is paramount that you choose a CPAP machine made by one of the best manufacturers.
Notably, the two leading CPAP equipment manufacturers are Philips Respironics and Resmed. Both companies have been manufacturing CPAP equipment for over a decade with Respironics starting in 1976 and Resmed started in 1989. Most people ask – can I buy a cpap machine without a doctor? You can buy CPAP from any of these manufacturers if you have sleep apnea symptoms. Other reliable CPAP machine manufacturers include Puritan Bennett, Fisher and Paykel, Devilbiss, and Aeiomed.
Features to Consider When Buying a CPAP Machine
- Mask selection – getting the best cpap masks is on the most fundamental aspect of CPAP use compliance.
- Noise – even though most CPAP machines today are made whisper quiet, some are quieter than others. If sound is your issue, ensure that you check the decibel levels of each machine.
- Humidifier – Having air uninterruptedly blown into your airways can lead to dry, irritated airways. That is why almost every modern CPAP machine come with an added humidifier rather than as an optional feature. Other machines have built-in humidifiers while others come as a detachable unit. Having a humidifier that can detach from the machine can prove helpful for travel when there is no need of carrying the entire machine.
- Portability – If you regularly travel, having a small, lightweight, and compact machine is the best option. It is also crucial to check if your machine comes with several plug-in adapters like DC power supply or international plugs and an option to use portable battery.
- Exhalation pressure relief – This feature makes it comfortable to exhale your breath against the inward pressurized air, making breathing more normal and easier. The machine preserves the prescribed air pressure settings during inhalation. However, it scales them back a bit during exhalation so the user does not have to feel like you are fighting against the incoming air.
- Data Recording – Many machines have various capabilities of recording user data. Even so, some only record information such as the period of usage. Can I just buy a cpap machine? It is to note that some machines can of give much more in-depth information such as apnea events, hypopnea events, changes in pressure, leak rates, and information on snoring, and more. Therefore, it is important to check whether a machine has these features before buying.
It is also key to understand whether your machine’s data is uploaded to a sim-card. This information will occasionally need to be taken in to a clinic for viewing. Before buying a sleep apnea machine, it is important to have in mind all the feature stated above.
Resources and References: