Table of Contents
Benefits & Disadvantages of Various Mask Types
Society is eventually recognizing sleep apnea as the dangerous and hazardous disease it is. However, there’s still a lot more that needs to be done in knowing its dangers and treating it. One specific and standard treatment for sleep apnea is consistent positive airway pressure via a CPAP mask. Consider three types of CPAP machines and their pros and cons.
Nasal CPAP Mask
The nasal CPAP mask covers your patient’s nose from the start of their upper lip area. This gives an indirect airflow to the airway through the nasal mask and works appropriately for patients who need higher pressure settings. The nasal CPAP mask gives your patients many versatile choices and is a popular compromise between the heavy full-face CPAP mask and the lightweight nasal pillow. A physician may prescribe nasal CPAP masks to patients who:
- Move around in their sleep a lot.
- Need a larger pressure setting on their CPAP machine.
- Want good options for mask selection.
- Nasal CPAP benefits in metabolic syndrome
Uses of Nasal CPAP Masks
Nasal masks are common among patients who wear CPAP masks since there are many sizes and fits available.
Advantages of a Nasal CPAP Mask
Some pros of nasal CPAP masks include:
- Indirect and natural airflow.
- Work more appropriately than nasal pillows for higher pressure settings.
- Various positions to cater to almost any type of facial feature and structure.
- Appropriate if your patient moves around in their sleep or sleeps on their side.
Disadvantages of a Nasal CPAP Mask
Nasal CPAP masks do come with some drawbacks. They’re not the right choice for patients who are mouth breathers unless accompanied by a chin-strap that maintains their jaw and mouth closed.
A physician may recommend nasal pillows to patients who:
- Roll and turn in their sleep.
- Experience claustrophobia when using more giant masks.
- Breathe through their nose.
Uses of Nasal pillows
Nasal pillows rest at your patient’s nostrils entrance and form a seal that directly directs the pressurized air into their nose.
Benefits of Nasal Pillows
Some advantages to nasal pillows include:
- Nasal pillows offer more expansive vision than full face masks or ancient nasal masks.
- Patients may put on their glasses when wearing nasal pillow masks due to the lack of coverage over the bridge of their nose.
- Nasal pillows minimize air leakage since they direct air into the patient’s nasal passages.