The VirtuCLEAN works by a two-step process.
Step 1: Disinfecting nasal pillow, face mask, and tubing
– Disconnect the CPAP hose from the CPAP machine with the nasal pillows and face mask still attached to the end of the tube.
– Place the nasal pillows and face mask portion of the CPAP tubing into the travel bag that comes with your VirtuCLEAN and zip closed the travel bag. (leave a small piece of the CPAP tubing hanging out of the travel pouch). Connect the VirtuCLEAN to the opposite end of the hose. (this will be the part of the tube that was initially connected to your CPAP Machine)
– You will turn on the VirtuCLEAN unit and let it run its 30-minute sanitizing cycle. During this 30 minute process, the VirtuCLEAN device will use disinfecting activated oxygen through the tubing. The sanitization cycle will be followed by a 5-minute flush cycle, consisting of a fresh air pushed through the CPAP tubing to help disperse any unwanted odor or ozone smell that might be remaining.
– You will want to do this step daily.
Step 2: Disinfecting your humidifier chamber
– Empty the humidifier container of the water
– Disconnect the nasal pillows and face mask portion of the equipment for your CPAP from the tubing. You will then connect the VirtuCLEAN to the equipment end of the hose. (the humidifier container and the tube should be connected to the CPAP machine while the VirtuCLEAN is connected to the other end of the tubing.)
– Turn on your VirtuCLEAN. Allow the unit to run its 30-minutes sanitizing cycle. The disinfection is followed by a 5-minute flush cycle that pushes fresh air through the CPAP tubing and chamber of the humidifier that helps to disperse any leftover ozone or odors that might be left by the disinfecting cycle.
– This step should be done at least one time a week. (You can do this step more often if you like, it will not cause any damage to the CPAP machine or any of the equipment)