Facts and Treatment – Does Sunlight Kill Mold?

UV light sterilization for molds
Apart from being the primary source of energy, sunlight comes with a variety of benefits. Medical practitioners have always recommended that the patients soak up the sun to boost vitamin D levels and, ultimately, the immune system. Alternatively, one can use a handheld UV sterilizer. 

Without a doubt, individuals with enough exposure to sunlight have better health than those who stay indoors for a better part of their day. Nonetheless, the benefits of sunlight are not only limited to human health.

It is believed that the sun is a very helpful anti-mold, and hence it is a great approach to put an end to mold growth.

Can Sunlight Kill Mold?

It is essential to know that mold flourishes on dark, damp, and humid surfaces. That is why you must have noticed the fungus growing inside the cabinets, rooms, and places with insufficient light. This piece of information is sufficiently a clear indication that sunlight is a useful technique of fighting mold. Moreover, high temperature is an added advantage of sunlight. Heat plays a significant role in eliminating bacteria and ultimately blocks the path for mold. That is majorly because heat is an excellent source of drying out the moisture.

How Does Sunlight Kill Mold?

Killing molds with UV light
The sun is an excellent way to tackle mold and mildew naturally. If you are not yet aware of how to kill mold with sunlight, you can try referring to the steps mentioned below. We are sure this will bring back the peace of your mind. Nevertheless, remember that the method works well for the items that can be placed directly under the sunlight. You can transport your room’s ceiling out in the garden.

  1. Wear a mask and gloves to protect yourself from the harsh consequences of mold exposure.
  2. Manually scrub off the mold using a toothbrush, rag, or a scrubbing sponge. Your choice scrubbing tool largely depends on the nature of the damaged surface. You can use a handheld UV light sterilization device to spot damaged areas quickly.
  3. Treat the surface with anti-mold solutions like vinegar, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda.
  4. Let the solution settle for a while and thoroughly wash the items.
  5. Place them under direct sunlight or a handheld UV light to allow the moisture out and to let the mold spores die their death.

Another approach is to place the damaged items under the sunlight before treating them with chemicals. Once you are done with the above procedures, put them again under the sunlight. No method works well if the surface is not exposed to air or sunlight.

Resources and References: