There are many factors to consider when looking at the causation of sleep apnea. Here is a list of a few things that doctors have linked to it:
- Due to excess weight pressing on the neck area, being obese can contribute to risk factors for sleep apnea.
- Excessively relaxed muscles
- When the muscles in the airway relax too much it can cause that area to collapse resulting in sleep apnea.
- In some cases, a person’s adenoids or tonsils are so large that they fall into the airway causing sleep apnea.
- Chronic Sinus infections
- Having chronic sinus issues can cause the soft pallet and airway to become misshapen, which can cause sleep apnea.
There are many other medical reasons a person can develop sleep apnea. However, sleep apnea is very dangerous and even potentially life-threatening, so when you think you or a loved one has sleep apnea, you should contact a medical professional right away.