How Do I Clean My CPAP Tank?
Most all CPAP machines now come with a heated humidification system. This helps to cut down on dry mouth and nasal irritation, but the warm and moist environment can easily become a breeding ground for bacteria and calcification if it is not taken care of properly.
CPAP cleaning should be a priority in your CPAP therapy. Regular cleaning of your machine is necessary for successful CPAP treatment. Properly cleaning your machine will ensure that it is working at 100% efficiency, prevent sickness, and prolong the life of your equipment.
Traditionally, CPAP cleaning utilizes soap and water:
- Carefully remove the humidifier, so water does not get into your CPAP machine.
- Open chamber and wash with mild soap and warm water.
- Rinse thoroughly with water
- Air dry on a clean towel out of sunlight
- Refill your CPAP tank with sterile or distilled water. Tap water contains minerals and chemicals that can damage your machine.
Once a week you should clean your CPAP tank with a vinegar and water solution to remove any buildup. Soak 1 part white vinegar and three parts water for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. Some humidifier tanks are dishwasher safe but always check your CPAP machine instruction manual before using the dishwasher.
A CPAP cleaner such as VirtuCLEAN offers a much simpler method. You simply place your CPAP tank into the included bag and turn the VirtuCLEAN device on. This CPAP cleaner uses ozone (activated oxygen) to kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria in your CPAP equipment. No water or cleaning solution is needed.
How Often Should I Clean My CPAP Tank?
Every CPAP machine and humidifier should come with instructions specifically written for your model and brand. In general, it is recommended to wash your CPAP tank every day with warm, soapy water. About once a month you should thoroughly inspect your humidifier for deterioration and replace it if there are any cracks, clouds, or crevices.
If you are immunocompromised, elderly, or dealing with cold symptoms every month, it may be time to reevaluate your CPAP cleaning schedule and method.
VirtuCLEAN CPAP Cleaner Is The Simplest Cleaning Method
VirtuCLEAN is the only CPAP cleaner that does not have any additional parts that need to be replaced such as cartridges or filters. Other CPAP cleaning devices such as So Clean require replacing filters and valves every six months.
This adds to the opportunities for user error as well as an increased cost. VirtuCLEAN also requires no adaptors.
VirtuCLEAN is maintenance free, making it the easiest CPAP cleaning method available. It uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and comes with an 18-month manufacturer’s warranty. No other CPAP cleaner is easier to use.
The fact that VirtuCLEAN uses no water or cleaning solution ensures that your CPAP machine stays dry. It is important to thoroughly dry your CPAP equipment before using your sleep apnea machine, just one drop of water can cause you health problems and operating issues.
One of the most common reasons people don’t adequately clean their CPAP equipment is that they don’t have the time. People are busy, and setting aside a half hour to an hour to scrub your equipment is inconvenient. Investing in a CPAP cleaner such as VirtuCLEAN will save you time and keep you in good health.
Tips For General CPAP Cleaning and Maintenance
- Make CPAP cleaning part of your daily morning routine. With VirtuCLEAN you don’t have to wake up any earlier than usual because you simply plug your sleep apnea machine into the CPAP cleaner and let it do all of the work.
- Keep your machine and equipment out of the sunlight to avoid damage.
- Unplug your machine before cleaning it.
- If you are using soap and water, start your cleaning with the tubing. It is important that everything is dry before using again.
- Never use bleach.
- Keep your machine on a level surface away from objects that could interfere with the air intake.
- Don’t wear facial moisturizers to bed; they tend to break down the CPAP mask.
- Always fill your humidifier with sterile or distilled water.
If you follow these simple CPAP tips and stick to a regular CPAP cleaning cycle, you will get the most out of your CPAP therapy. Visit our website to learn more about the CPAP cleaner VIrtuCLEAN.